07 September 2011

It's Almost Fall, &c.

It's finally stopped raining every day, the mosquitoes are disappearing, and night time is almost jacket weather. I'm so happy to start using my kitchen again without roasting  myself out of the house. I'm going to make plenty of these....


Skillet baked pita bread. My proudest Korean kitchen accomplishment. Recipe via Smitten Kitchen.

And I'm going to eat lots of my new favorite food, samgyetang.


It's a tiny chicken (it seems even smaller than a cornish game hen) stuffed with rice, a jujube (sort of like a date), ginseng root, a chestnut, and a garlic clove, then poached in a salt-and-peppery broth with green onion until the little chicken is so tender that you can cut it apart with a spoon. It's one of the few Korean dishes that could easily be replicated in the States. I'm still looking for a good recipe.

And just so you know, a garlic mashed potato pancake topped with leftover salmon and an over-medium egg is the breakfast of champions.

Then, after I've stuffed myself silly I'm going to take a long walk in this scarf and boots until I find the perfect place to sit down, drink plenty of hot coffee and red wine (summer was too hot for both - terrible), and start counting down the days until December 3rd - home time.

 via Madewell


But truthfully, I do - in fact - do more than eat all day and teach English. I just finished reading this:


It was my first time reading Willa Cather and I was only disappointed in the fact that I hadn't read her work before. She's a fantastic and touching storyteller and I'm eager to read more.

And I never get tired of Beirut or this song.


Hong Kong this weekend. Photos in a couple of weeks.

5 comments:

  1. This post gives me the warm fuzzies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- December 3rd! That's not too far away really. I hope I can see you soon after you come home. I haven't read My Antonia yet, but I loved Death comes for the Archbishop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to see you before too long too! Putting Death Comes for the Archbishop at the top of my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I totally didn't even realize that you would be home in December! Has it really almost been a year already? We absolutely must get together when you are home! I want to hear all your funny stories and catch up on life! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has! Seems like that dinner we had before I left was only last month. I can't wait to see you and meet your new little guy.

    ReplyDelete