02 November 2011

Lately

A few weeks ago I visited the Busan MoMA. It's a surprisingly small museum for a city of 4 million, but Koreans aren't overly excited about art. I really loved this exhibit.


And today, when I browsing NPR's home page, I came across this article. I think John Crispin's project is so touching and beautiful.  He was given permission by the New York State Museum to photograph the contents of suitcases that had formerly belonged to patients of the Willard Psychiatric Center. The suitcases were put into storage when patients were admitted to the Center, and, because the facility specifically treated people with chronic metals illnesses, the patients never left. NPR only touches on the subject lightly, but you can follow the entire project on Crispin's blog.

Fred Butters packed un-mailed letters and a toothbrush in a glass case.


 Maude K. was a craftswoman of some sort.

And she played bridge.

In other news, things are winding down over here and I'll be flying back to the States in 4 weeks - how time flies! Until then, I'll be visiting the DMZ, celebrating Thanksgiving with friends, and taking in the last bit of fall time in Korea. (Do you know how pretty a street lined with ginkgo trees is in November? Very.)

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see you - hopefully sometime soon after you arrive home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to see you too! And yes, hopefully sooner rather than later. :)

    ReplyDelete