A couple of weeks ago I visited my brother in Naples, FL and while I was there I picked up some Turkish coffee at a European grocer. I hadn't had it years but remembered drinking it at Jerusalem Garden, a teeny tiny Greek/Turkish restaurant in Ann Arbor, while I was in college. It's just as delicious as I remembered but I'm finding it a little bit difficult to prepare.
Although I purchased Mehmet Efendi coffee, it turns out that Turkish coffee isn't identified by a particular bean or blend. What makes it Turkish is the very fine grind (even finer than espresso) and brewing method. People drink it all over eastern Europe and prepare it a little differently in each country. I'm finding the Croatian method the easiest and still working on getting the hang of the authentic Turkish version.
And, I'm still hung up on Russia. I've been combing through calendars for 2012 and this quirky calendar of Russian composers looks like fun. The portraits of Glinka and Stravinsky are my favorites.

I learned how to make Turkish coffee from a Greek woman I met at a monastery. It was delighful. Also, I did not realize that we share the same love of Russia. Not that I am surprised...
ReplyDeleteDoesn't surprise me either!
ReplyDelete