Dragon's Dream cave bar, a former cave/bomb shelter, which was truly little more than a hole in the side of a mountain, but served the best dong-dong-ju I've ever had (an earthy Korean rice wine-ish drink) and turned out to be the perfect place to spend a rainy afternoon.
Nong-Shim Brauhaus, a beer garden/microbrewery featuring excellent German microbrews and a Bulgarian cover band that plays all night, every night. Just as good and just as much fun as the beer gardens at home. When we got there the band was playing 'The Final Countdown' and all the Korean ladies were standing up waving their dinner napkins the in the air. They also stood up and waved their napkins for 'Billie Jean.'
Cheongdo bullfighting festival. Five refs march out into the ring and take their seats around the perimeter, then the owners lead their bulls into the ring. While the bulls are waiting they stamp a lot and kick dirt. After they go into the ring they butt heads until one bull runs. The bull that runs loses. Lots of cheering and betting and festival foods. I ate chicken bum holes by accident. "What's this funny meat? I wonder what part of the bull this is." "It isn't part of a bull." "What is it then?" "Chicken..." It took only a brief inspection to realize just what part of the chicken it was. I realized I'd seen it before; there are lots of restaurants specializing in the 'delicacy.' It's one of the 5-or-less things I've ever eaten that made me lose my appetite entirely.



I love your adventures.
ReplyDeleteChicken bum holes?!? Oh my goodness April! =)
ReplyDeleteI know, right? The worst. I did actually come down with food poisoning the next day, and as much as I'd like to blame the exotic meat, I'm mostly certain it was from something else.
Delete