24 August 2011

Jeju Island Vacation

Last month my friends and I took an all-too-short vacation to Jeju Island and had the best time. The island is very far south and we encountered some of the hottest weather of the summer. It's full of lava rock walls and oranges groves with old men and women working in them. We stayed in a little village that turned out to be somewhat off the beaten path, went to different beaches every day, took long walks, visited a botanical garden and lava tubes (Hallasan, an extinct volcano, is at the center of the island), and spent late nights BBQ-ing on our hostel's big open porch.

Lava rock beach





Lava tube entrance. Pictures of the inside didn't turn out.






 Koreans have a funny way of playing Jenga. In spite of that tower's precarious situation, I did not make it fall down.

 Hallasan is tucked away in the background, hidden underneath a cloud.



Unfortunately, my photos are a meager record what we did and saw. I'm a very lazy picture-taker. The beaches were all very different from each other and I'm just now realizing that I have only about three pictures of one of them. And I completely failed to document both the orange groves and lava tubes. Whoops.

1 comment: