19 March 2011

Sangnam Market

Market days are some of my favorites. They fall on every day of the month that ends in 4 or 9. They're noisy and crowded. They smell like fish, fresh produce, and roasted nuts, and you can find everything from black beans and live octopus to rubber gloves and clothes. Also, they provide ample opportunity to practice my pidgin Korean. I can manage, "How much is it?" "That's not what I want," and, "What is it?" And then, because I understand so little Korean, I usually end the conversation - in Korean - by blurting out, "I don't understand," after someone tries to answer my, "What is it?"



The fish are my favorite part of the market.

Silk worms, anyone?

 Piles of dried fish. If you stop and look too long, the vendors usually try to make you eat a sample. I did once. I don't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment