13 March 2011

Temple Park

I realized that I still haven't posted pictures of where I live!

A few days ago I took a walk to one of the nearby city parks because I'd heard that there's a temple there. There is, but it's under construction and you couldn't walk up to it.

 
A little glimpse of the temple. There are 5 or 6 other buildings like this one.

These little mounds in the park are graves. There are hundreds of them on mountain and hillsides everywhere, and usually they're not as sophisticated as the ones above. When I first got to Korea, I didn't know what they were, so I drew a mountain covered in little bumps and asked my students what they were. They thought I was the dumbest teacher ever and said, "Uh. Teacher. Dead people." There isn't enough level ground in Korea for cemeteries because all of it is taken up by buildings, so people are always buried under mounds on mountain and hillsides.

A little corner of Changwon. View from a hill in the park. The whole city is tucked in and around mountains. 

The walk home. All of the widewalks here are tree-lined. There are lots of evergreens so they stay pretty even in winter. Supposedly cherry blossoms are up next.

Side notes: 1) A lot people have asked, and no, Korea hasn't been affected by earthquake aftershocks or the tsunami. Hopefully it won't be affected by harmful nuclear radiation levels either. 2) My friend Celena just had a baby boy this weekend. Congratulations, Celena, Tim, and Olivia! And welcome to the world, Clayton. :)

2 comments:

  1. I feel special that you mentioned me on your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted the last comment, not sure why it says Tim. ~Celena

    ReplyDelete