04 July 2011

Tokyo

While Julie was visiting we had the chance to meet our friend Scott in Tokyo over Memorial Day weekend. He was there wrapping up his 2-month bicycle trip across Japan. The trip was a little rushed but completely worth it. We did some sight-seeing but mostly just enjoyed the unlikely opportunity that we had to see each other in Japan.

 We started our trip with the best cup of coffee I've ever had (I drank at least 20 over the course of 3 days) and a very confusing map of the Tokyo subway system.

 I am prepared to argue that the best food in Asia is in Japan.

 There were Shinto shrines tucked in little corners all over the city. Some were pristine....

 ... and some were more textured in character.
 
 We visited Tokyo Tower which, we were told, is taller than the Eiffel Tower.

 And went to the top.

 Scott said we had to try Takoyaki. I thought it was delicious.

I think Julie did too.

We walked through the Imperial Gardens.

And did a great deal of walking in general.

 Japanese plum wine over ice was a favorite. I enjoyed it with nearly the same enthusiasm as I enjoyed the coffee.

On our last day we went to the famous Tsukiji fish market...

 ...where there's every kind of fresh seafood you can dream up,

and also the not so fresh, including Dried Squid with Stuffed Mountain Cat.

Then, we said goodbye at the airport and went back to our respective places on the globe.

1 comment:

  1. Best part of the trip! Aw shucks, I love you Big! Miss you, thanks for such a great time and finding amazing plane tickets!

    ReplyDelete