via NPR
I cook vegetarian probably 80% of the time. I love meat. I crave meat. It's just that I can't make myself eat overcooked meat and I haven't found a foolproof way to avoid overcooking it yet. Throwing out 50% of the meat I cook (or letting the leftovers go bad in the fridge) isn't overly practical, so I've started eating a lot of vegetables, beans and lentils. I made this dal curry a couple of weeks ago and it was so good - really rich and warm - that I'm planning on making it again this week. It's one of my new cold weather favorites and a close adaptation of a recipe that NPR published back in October.
MOONG DAL CURRY
1 c yellow moong dal (split yellow mung bean, available at Indian groceries)
4 c vegetable or chicken broth
3/4 t ground tumeric
4 T butter (or vegetable oil)
2 t ground cumin
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1 large onion peeled, halved, and sliced
2 t grated ginger
1 or 2 green serrano chilies or jalapenos, seeded and minced
2 or 3 tomatoes, chopped
salt and minced cilantro or parsley to taste
Rince dal thoroughly and remove any debris. In a large saucepan bring water, tumeric and 1 tbsp of butter to a boil. Add dal, reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes or until dal is very soft. If liquid begins to dry up, add stock 1/2 cup at a time as needed (I used about 1 1/2 cups). Remove from heat and set aside.
In a skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for several minutes until they become translucent. Add cumin and cinnamon and stir to coat evenly. Add ginger, chilies and tomatoes and allow mixture to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt to taste, mix well, and stir tomato mixture into the dal. Reheat the dal gently and serve hot over rice, topped with cilantro or parsley.

No comments:
Post a Comment