14 December 2010

Daegu


Edit: I completely forgot to mention the baby who was at the table next to us in a restaurant. He couldn't have been more than 12 months old and kept bowing to us and trying to say "enyo-hasseo" (hello). Then his mom asked him if he would wink and he squeezed both eyes shut in a very deliberate blink. So sweet it made my heart hurt.

This past weekend I visited my friends in Daegu and had such a great time. We went spent most of our time going from apartment to apartment or from one restaurant/bar/coffee shop to another restaurant/bar/coffee shop, just enjoying each others' company (did a little travel planning too... my fingers are crossed for a trip to China in February). I already can't wait to go back for Christmas.

In between the constant eating, we also checked out the DVD bongs. They were a little strange but definitely worthwhile. They operate sort of like any American video rental place, except that after you pay the rental fee the DVD bong operator shows you to a room with a big projector screen, large couch/bed pieces of furniture (not to be confused with sofa beds), and self-controlled heating. Basically, you can recline, be as warm as you want, and eat or drink anything you want in your own private viewing room for the duration of a movie. We liked them so much that we went twice in the same night.

By bus, the trip from Changwon to Daegu is about an hour and 15 minutes - very short, and it was fun to see what Korea looks like between here and there. It was mountains, mountains, mountains the whole way. Right now they aren't much to look at but I'm sure they'll be beautiful after a snowfall and in the spring. Daegu is about 5 times the size of Changwon and being there felt much more like being in a foreign country. I'm excited to see more of it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you all got to see each other! I agree, I want to go to a DVD bong. So, I wasn't thinking at all and I just put your Christmas card in my big pile of cards that I'm sending...tomorrow. : ( Which means although my US relatives and friends will get theirs by the holiday, yours will be late- sorry! But you do have a Christmas card coming- as long as I got your ridiculously funny looking address correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ok! I'll still be excited to receive it :) Yeah, the address is sort of strange looking. If you copied it the same way I sent it to you then the card should make it.

    ReplyDelete