My Korean Christmas was rather uneventful, but cozy. Spending Christmas Eve at work really wasn't a bother, except for the inconvenience that it kept me from spending the whole holiday in Daegu. I just love my students; so much more is expected of them than of American kids and it was great to have a day with them that was devoted to fun.
By the end of Christmas Eve, I came down with a little virus that was undoubtedly a gift from one of my 2nd graders. You know, the variety who are constantly hugging, holding your hand, and giving you their chewed-up gum or half-eaten cookies. So, after the candlelight service at church, which was lovely, I went straight home to bed.
The train ride to Daegu on Christmas morning was wonderful (I thought of your train trips in college, Kate!). I'm going to travel by train as often as possible. My friends and I had a very lazy Christmas Day because it was so cold outside and two of us were sick. I arrived just in time for breakfast, so we ate, opened gifts, then ate another breakfast (because we had to try out Mike's new french press, which necessarily means that you have to make french toast too), laid on the living room floor and watched movies, took a few breaks (meaning: we simply sat up) for wine and trivia, ate carry-out, and watched more movies.
Usually the days following Christmas are a little depressing, but Koreans don't make a big fuss over Christmas and their major holiday is the Lunar New Year. That's in a little over a month, so their holiday season is really just beginning. My 5-day trip to China for the festivities is booked and I can't wait!
And, since I'm Catholic and Christmas isn't truly over until January 6, let me treat you to one of my favorite Christmas music videos of 2010, a sweet little cover by North Highlands (Deck The Halls, covered by 11 Acorn Lane - just quirky and fun - is a close runner-up):
I'm glad you had such a nice Christmas and Birthday : ) Someday we'll have to take the train together somewhere. Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteThat is such an April sounding song. I was sad when it was over. Lovely. I hope you are feeling better!
ReplyDeleteThis is April's mom (not April). It made me sad too....I remember.......Well, you know how moms are.....
ReplyDelete